Monday, May 20, 2013

Snowballing Projects

With only 3 months til the baby is due we are getting pretty serious about projects around the house. I'm thinking if we don't get them done now they might never get done... plus the nasty green carpet in the soon-to-be nursery has got to go! We are planning on ordering our cork floors (FINALLY) this week so in anticipation Tyler took the carpet off the stairs.

It looks like they have always had carpet on them but they are in really good shape. Since we were waiting for the Memorial Day Sale to buy the cork we had a few days to get the stairs in shape! Tyler started sanding the paint off only to find out it had lead in it (it's a good thing we still had those testers!). He stopped sanding immediately but was worried about the paint dust that got into the surrounding carpet. Since lead paint (and the upcoming staining and sealing projects) is not so safe for pregnant people I had to stay at my parents' house and wasn't allowed in the living room for the last week.
The stairs photograph well (I can't wait to see them when they are done!) but Tyler isn't happy with the color or quality of the staining. He is going to sand it off and try to smooth it out this week. He also wants to make them darker but I have a hard time committing to that!

Since there was stillead paint dust in the carpet Tyler pulled all that up yesterday so I can actually walk through my house again. For now we have plywood floors and all the living room furniture is crammed in the dining room... 
Here is where the snowball of projects picks up. Before we put the cork down we have to paint all the walls which is an equally giant project. And so we don't have to deal with the curtains while we paint Tyler wants to get new window coverings...

So in less than a month we have to move all of the furniture, paint all the walls, pick out and install new window coverings, and install cork floors. And we are supposed to move the garden, Tammy is going to come help paint a mural, and we are hosting my baby shower here. Did I mention Tyler started a new job so he can only work on projects during the evenings? 

Here are a few of my favorite removing-the-carpet pictures.
love that you can see a big grey line along the whole house. The original owners had everything painted this grey or an ugly green. I'm not sure if this carpet is original (they clearly had some carpet when the house was built) but they painted all the walls white somewhere along the line.
like this picture showing a whole layer of brick hidden by the thick old carpet. 
I wonder what other surprises we will find! And the snowballing continues! 

No comments:

Post a Comment