Sunday, September 23, 2012

Poor Painted House...

Many mid-century modern homes are not lucky enough to be purchased by people who appreciate their style. Many people don't appreciate their uniqueness and original, often custom, features. Instead of buying a house that suits them people buy amazing houses and rip out everything that made them amazing. There aren't that many MCM houses around and when someone destroys one it breaks my heart.

Isn't this an amazing house? It was for sale around the same time as ours but it was out of our price range... It is Clifton and has an amazing view from the back of the house.










We drove past it today and it looks like this....

Painting brick is one of the worst things ever. I looked back at the listing pictures and was so sad. I talked to our realtor (who listed this house too) and she told me they gutted it... and judging by the painted brick I doubt they did it in a let's-update-but-keep-with-the-original-style kind of way.

People think since they own a house (temporarily) they can do whatever they want to it but it's not that simple. If I bought the Mona Lisa I think people would be pissed if I painted it grey instead.

To see the visual tour of this house click here.
If you are interested in buying a Mid Century Modern house in Cincinnati click here!

UPDATE: We had a cf3 event at this house recent and I am happy to report that besides the painted brick the updating was actually an improvement. I am all for keeping vintage things and if I had bought the house I would have definitely left it as it was intended but if you are going to update please do it with the integrity of the house in mind! Luckily the ownder worked with one of our cf3 architects and (besides painting the brick INSIDE AND OUT) now it is more modern and livable.

No comments:

Post a Comment