Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Farming

I just noticed that I haven't posted at all this month... Our many projects have been put on hold while we set up our GARDEN. I thought now that we have a house we could grow a few tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers... maybe even some green beans...


But my lovely husband and bigger ideas. He wanted okra and cabbage and carrots and onions and potatoes- basically if you can grow it he wants to do it.

Our garden is now 20x35. There are tons of deer in our area so we also needed a fence to keep them out. We can't have a fence higher than 4.5 feet so we went with the double fence technique that seems to be working so far.


We have already planted a few things though they don't seem to be doing very well... aka nothing has sprouted yet :(

Here is our garden from the house.


I started cherry tomatoes, early tomatoes, and kumatos (from store bought Mexican tomatos) as well as bell peppers, 5 different salsa peppers, and 2 types of cucumbers. I know it says to put cucumbers straight into the ground but why not get a head start?


These pictures are from a few weeks ago so they are a bit bigger now. I am always amazed (and frustratedly disappointed) at how long it takes to start a plant from a seed...

I have bought a few things from online estate auctions and a thrift store in upstate New York but nothing too exciting. I had to let my local stores stock up again since I did so much shopping for my Mad Men party!!

2 comments:

  1. The "head-start cucumbers" were a waste of time. There are 2 plants that haven't died yet but they are looking miserable. I planted some in the ground (after all the other ones died...) and they are doing well... Wish I wouldn't have wasted all those weeks watering seedlings inside!

    ReplyDelete