Friday, January 13, 2012

New Year, New Roof!

Since we have had so much nice weather so far this year my dad decided to get a head start on replacing our roof! Our house has had a tile roof since it was built in 1954 and it's time for an update!





I like the concept of the tile roof and it was a tough decision to get rid of this original feature... but it is very expensive to upkeep and you can see (from patched ceilings all over) they had problems with it in the past.






I also hated not being able to get up on the roof (tiles crack VERY easily!) to put up Christmas lights, inspect the chimney, clean out the gutters, etc so having regular old shingles will be nice.




 
My dad has also found some hidden cracks you would have no way of finding unless you took the tiles up. And with a wood paneled ceiling I didn't want to take any chances! More pictures to come!

4 comments:

  1. I think it’s a smart move to get rid of your old tile roof. At least your dad was able to see what that damages that needed to get fixed before they took a turn for the worse. Plus, a new roof will definitely bring new life to your house.
    Kip Whitehead

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re right, Kip. This is truly the best move as far as the roofing is concerned. Your roof is more durable now than it was before, your house even looks better! Installing a new roof will lead to definite home improvement when it comes to home aesthetics, and structural integrity. It’s like hitting two birds with one stone. =)

    Tiffany Larsen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea right there, Allie! =) I’m pretty confident that this new roofing will last for years. Now I’m getting a bit excited on how your home’s exterior will look like this coming Holiday season. The month of December is fast approaching, and hey, can you feel the cool breeze already? =)

    Saundra Wordlaw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn’t that a good start for 2012? Hihi! I must say that the change is good, Allie. And whoa to that crack! Luckily, you guys discovered the crack before it led to serious damage and replaced it with a new tile.

    - Brendan

    ReplyDelete